Before you go any further
Hello! My name is Hugo Gameiro and I run Masto.host.
Masto.host is a project that I started after realising that installing and maintaining a Mastodon instance was not accessible for most non-technical people.
The way Masto.host grown from 0 to running 100 Mastodon servers during the first 6 months was pretty exciting but it completely caught me by surprise. I had to keep scaling, testing, learning and currently Masto.host is still a work in progress.
Please do not expect a flawless service from Masto.host. The hosting platform is not redundant, meaning it is 100% dependent on the data center where it is located and it will go down. I am pretty much doing manual changes in production and I will make mistakes. The database backups are daily and in the event that a restore from a disaster is needed as much as 24 hours of data could be missing.
The service has been running great with over 99% uptime, no lost data and without security breaches, but this is a side project and with the little available time I have, I will attempt to keep it that way.
Terms of Service
Masto.host is a service provided by WAP – Web Access Platforms, Unipessoal, LDA. This is a one-person-company, owned and administrated by Hugo Gameiro. It is only I, Hugo, that work on this company and that will conduct, single-handedly, the provision of this service and will have access to your data. I will not share it and will not look into it unless strictly necessary in cases of suspicious activity or technical problems.
One of the things that makes Mastodon so great is that each community/server is unique. The number of users that each Mastodon server can accommodate vary greatly. The up to number of users mentioned in the old plans are merely indicative.
The unlimited and unmetered plans expect a normal usage of Mastodon as a social media platform. If I identify that your server is being used for other purposes and/or abusing the unlimited/unmetered plans, your server will be suspended, asked to leave the platform and if you request a backup I will generate one for you to move your server to another hosting platform.
The same goes for any illegal activity. Please just use common sense, you know what illegal is. I want to help you run a Mastodon server but can't do it if you break the law.
I will not accept to host Mastodon servers that promote or that become a gathering of users around the following topics:
- Sexual content involving minors, including artistic depictions
- Gore and extremely graphic violence, including artistic depictions
- National Socialism
- Holocaust denial
- Alt right, including under the disguise of freedom of speech
- Sex and gender discrimination
- Pro-ana / Pro-mia
I will also not accept Mastodon servers that are mainly used for the following activities:
- Automated sharing of third-party content, news sources, websites or social media content that doesn’t belong to you
- Trolling, insulting and derogatory comments towards others outside your server
- Mass following and aggregation of content
- Spreading falsehoods, alternative facts, anecdotal evidence, prejudice or bias towards a social group, inciting violence, circular reporting, shock provoking content, conspiracy theories, dark patterns, deepfakes, disinformation, misinformation, sensationalism, truthiness, propaganda, rumours, hoaxes, urban myths, pseudoscience, post-truth and opinion pieces or interviews that convey any of the previous.
Currently this service is in open Beta. Meaning the service is still being developed, optimised and tested. I cannot guarantee that the service will work as expected or at all and should only be used for testing purposes. Until now, all servers have over 99% uptime and without any known issues.
All other situations that may arise will be solved between you and me and using common sense.
By pressing the purchase button, you are agreeing to these conditions and to all others required by law.